Scroll to content

Monkshouse Primary Academy

Together Everybody Achieves More

School Meals

School Meals 

Universal Infant Free School Meals


All pupils in Reception, Year 1 and Year 2 are able to receive a school meal at no cost to the parent/guardian as announced by the Government.  School meals are healthy, tasty, social and fun and choosing a school lunch for your child/children will help save you up to £450 per year if you take up the offer.  A school lunch will also provide a varied and balanced diet and provide the right amount of energy to ensure that your child can work better in the afternoons.


School meals for years 3, 4, 5 and 6 are £2.45 per day. 


Pupil Premium - Free School Meals


Pupil Premium is funding paid by the local authority/government directly to schools. Please note that Pupil Premium is not the same as Universal Infant Free School Meals. Please see letter below for further information. Even if you do not want your children to have school meals, claiming them helps the school obtain additional funding to support your child's learning. The more eligible parents who claim free school meals, the more funding the school receives to support children's learning.

Who can get Free School Meals?


Your child may be eligible for free school meals – and accordingly pupil premium – if you receive any of the following benefits:


  • Universal Credit - your household income must be less that £7,400 a year (after tax and not including any benefits you get) 
  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
  • The guaranteed element of state Pension Credit 
  • Child Tax Credit (provided you are not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
  • Working Tax Credit 'run on' - paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit.

If you would like to apply for pupil premium including free school meals, please either visit the link in the letter above or speak to the school office for further information on how to do this.